Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The spoils of illness

Now being a singleton and also suffering from a debilitating illness, I find it very hard to cook myself meals and also be thrifty with my grocery shopping. I am forever throwing out spoiled food. The food either spoils because the package size is too big for a singleton to use before the use-by date; spoils because I don't get around to using it in time; or spoils because I forget its there. There have also been occassions when I have been so tired that I have put the cereal in the refrigerator and the milk in the cupboard.

Last night I actually had some energy to make myself tea. I decided on poached eggs on wheat-free toast. Protein + Easy = winner! But I noticed that the use-by date on the almost-full egg carton was one day away. Fed up with always throwing food out, I decided that I had to do something.

So the girl who normally doesn't eat an evening meal because she is too tired, made her perfectly timed poached eggs (slightly runny yolk), boiled a couple of eggs for lunch today in a salad and made a wheat-free, dairy-free, crustless quiche with the remaining eggs! And wait thats not all........ I did the dishes also. Ok the dishes were hastily done and not up to my normal rigid standards. But hey - a victory!

So maybe tonight I can re-heat some quiche and maybe, just maybe do a little sewing??

No comments:

Post a Comment