Friday, November 20, 2009

Handmade has heart

I have been thinking a lot lately about the handmade and why it is so special. I know that for me it is an essential part of who I am - the need to create and the satisfaction I get from it. And some of my fondest childhood memories are of handmade gifts from my family. My Nana made the best birthday cakes a kid could ask for. And my Mum used to turn the clothes she had sewn for us into works of art with her use of fabric paint.
I'd like to share with you a snippet from post about the Leeloo 'Once upon an exhibition' that featured on the madeit blog. I read it and had to refrain from exclaiming 'Yes!' out load and startling my coworkers.

Why do you love handmade so much?

It has heart. Since being so heavily entrenched in the handmade industry I find it really difficult to find things that I even like in chain stores and department stores. I take one look at labels in stores, and when I find it’s not made in Australia, as is often the case, I consider how high the profit margin must be and how many of these items are in the world and I actually have quite an irksome visceral reaction.

Read the full post here.

And following on from my last post about lockets.....here is a little something I whipped up myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment